Dreambox

I was introduced to Dreambox learning, an on-line learning program, while attending a session lead by Cathy Fosnot in Palm Springs. I figured it was just another program that paid a big name to promote their site. I signed up for a 30-day trial for my school, which the 2nd grade team was happy to try out. I also did some research with my 5 year old daughter Emilia. The game was a hit. Soon, the kindergarten and 1st grade teams got word of the excitement and were interested in trying the game. It has since grown to included 3rd and 4th grade. Although most classrooms have only tried the game a few times, I see many benefits to using the game as part of our mathematics program. First, it is easy to access. Students can log in from home or at school using a computer or ipad with internet access. The game is adaptive based upon the strategies the students use to solve a problem, how long it takes to solve a problem, and the answer they provide. As a math specialist, I love that the game has students working with number lines, hundreds charts, math racks, ten frames, and other concept building digital manipulatives. Most importantly, the students are highly engaged with the game and continue to ask for more time playing it at school and how they can access it from home.